Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Missrepresentation

After watching the film Missrepresentation in class, I feel like my eyes have been opened to a lot of new information. I've never been much of a feminist, figuring that men and women deserve the same treatment but also that we were not made exactly the same. There is nothing wrong with the fact that there are differences and I don't think we should be the same always. However, after watching this video I feel like there are a lot more issues in our society that should be addressed. Maybe we shouldn't expect men and women to be exactly the same, but I couldn't believe how few politicians are women in our country, especially when compared to other nations. I think the documentary said that our country places 90th on the amount of women politicians. I think I am most concerned about how young girls dream about the future. I don't really care all that much that there are more men than women politicians and leaders in our country, but I do care that this can cause fewer young girls to aspire to have a position of power when they grow up. This film was especially moving for me because I am currently pregnant with a girl and I am so worried about her growing up in a world that so sexualizes and objectifies women. I am tremendously worried about how to help her body image and how to help her to dream big and not be afraid to be herself. I hope that the media can begin to change the way they portray women and girls so that girls' opinions of themselves can become better.

I do recommend this movie to anyone who wants to watch it, but I would not advise it for children because it does contain images of women being sexualized.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! It was eye opening to me as well, and I study the media! I especially found the political stuff interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fine line! It is sad that our world objectifies and sexualizes women, but it's also sad that us as women let them and sometimes even encourage them. Just work hard to teach your daughter what you think is important as far as morals. Teach her that she can do anything she wants, teach her to use her mind and not play dumb, teach her to look pretty if she wants. If she wants to learn how to cook teach her that, if she wants to learn how play baseball or basketball teach her that. And when/if you have a son, teach him how to treat a lady, walk her home, open doors for her, teach him how to clean, cook, and do laundry. So many people in our world say that we need to teach our daughters so many things, but we also need to make sure our sons know these things too.

    ReplyDelete