Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Are Weight Inspiration Boards Really Inspiring?

I see them all over pinterest: boards dedicated to pictures of skinny women who have zero percent body fat and are working out. There are also links to 'diet secrets' and other skinny inspirations. I remember reading about thin-spiration that girls with anorexia had. These were picture of way too skinny girls to inspire and remind the anorexic girls to not eat. Is this really healthy? I mean, I know the thin-spiration for the anorexic girls is crossing the line, but is posting and looking at pictures of thin and skinny women in general good for us? In my opinion, instead of motivating us, then just make us feel bad about ourselves. Most of the girls are unhealthily thin, and when we compare ourselves to pictures of these girls it just brings down our own self-esteem. I'm all for being healthy, but I think posting and focusing on these pictures is not healthy for our own self worth. I am worried about the self esteem of all of the women who post these pictures. I know it is good to have a goal for ourselves but I think that if we focus on it too much then it causes more damage than good.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it's healthy at all! Instead of being motivating, I would suspect it would just make women have even poorer body image and self esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I do not think that this is really healthy and might even be discouraging for weight loss (because most people would never become that thin). I think that even pinterest adds to the low self-esteem of women because every couple of scrolls there is gorgeous skinny women with great bodies which is a constant reminder of what the viewer does not have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a fitness board can be an inspiration, it just depends on what you pin to it. I have one and don't really pin pics of skinny-minnie girls to it, but I do pin different types of workouts or excercise things that I'd like to try to it. Sometimes they come with a picture of a skinny little thing, sometimes not. Also, I guess it depends on the state of mind of the person doing the pinning. I know I'll never be as thin as those girls and I'm fine with that. I'm not built like them and I've had 3 kids, and I'm not in my 20's anymore. If you are happy with yourself then seeing a picture of skinny chick shouldn't mar your self-esteem, if it does then you need to look deeper into yourself and figure out what issues you have that are keeping you from loving yourself. Nicole you are about to have a daughter, she'll see all kinds of pictures of women, short, tall, skinny, fat, curvy, voluptuious, flat, tiny, petite, hippy, frizzy, curly, straight, black, white, brown, blue, etc. Teach her to love everyone and to love herself, teach her that she and every human being are beautiful, smart,and unique. Tell her everyday and she will believe you and she will love herself.

    ReplyDelete